Last July, the Consultancy Service for the development of the Road Accident Data Management System (RADMS) was launched. Mrs. Dagmawit Moges, Minister of Transport and Logistics of the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia, in whose inaugural speech highlighted the maximum relevance and national strategic nature of this project, attended the protocol event for the start of the works in Addis Ababa (Ethiopia).
Overall, the aim of this Consultancy Service, for an amount of 935,481.38 $ (excl. VAT) and a period of 12 months, is conduct a nationwide accident data collation, digitizing the paper-based accident records and mapping the accident locations based on the available geographical details for the last six years. Furthermore, this consultancy service will also assist to implement the RADMS at national level to collate the accident data and train the Ministry of Transport (MoT) staff members, relevant stakeholders and experts to keep the accident database updated in a sustainable manner. This database will be hosted at the National Road Safety Council Office (NRSCO) and will be available for the usage of other stakeholders at national level to plan, design, develop and implement road safety interventions, so as to improve the road safety environment throughout the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia.
The specific objectives pursued by this Consultancy Service are:
- Collecting and collating accident records from the Federal and Regional police administrations for approximately 7,000 km of Ethiopia’s road network (expected to be approximately 90,000 paper-based accident records).
- Digitizing of the accident records in database format into the RAD.
- Mapping these accident records on an ArcGIS platform.
- Analysing accident data using statistical tool and simulation software and conduct basic analysis by adopting simple statistical inferences to understand the cause-and-affect kind of scenarios related to road accidents.
- Assisting in developing a Centralised Reporting System (CRS) in between NRSCO, Federal and Regional road safety offices and Regional Police offices throughout Ethiopia.
- Enhancing the technical capability by providing trainings to the police and road safety related staff in recording the accident data scene in digital format with the help of tables; so as to collect and records GIS based real-time accident data and submit to the NRSC database in future.